I will not quote statistics. I will not rail against the NRA. I will not explain to the close-minded. It’s all been done and said before. And it does no good.
Instead. I will tell you what I do in my classroom.
- Answer 11 year olds’ questions about the shootings (every time)
- Explain my plan in case of an active shooter
- Practice my plan with 30 11 & 12 year olds
- Hold part of it back because I don’t know who they might tell.
- Explain that NO is an acceptable answer.
- Allow them to conclude that women, POC, nonbinary, and LGBTIA+ are people
- Discuss anti-violent solutions to problems
- Role play difficult social situations and discuss the various options
- TALK to them and KNOW them
- Be an adult worth trusting
- We read about mental illness & “differences” to normalize it
- We study world religions and their similarities
For the last 14 years I have taught kids to love one another and to save the world from itself. My kids are out there. They’re still learning and now some of them are teaching their own kids.