I’m working on a story for an anthology. Due date is this weekend. Pertinent details all.
Currently I need a British nursery rhyme about a queen. Not as easy as I’d hoped. Plus, I keep bumping into all the ways things get/got twisted when they hopped the pond to get to the colonies. Especially Texas. We muck around with everything.
This did get me to pondering things though.
- How’d we get checkers when it’s called daughts?
- Is it a coincidence that there were 4 and 20 blackbirds BAKED in that pie?
- Why is it Cluedo there and just Clue here?
- Snakes and Ladders vs. Chutes and Ladders? What could it matter?
- Why stroller instead of pushchair?
This evening’s research has only brought up more questions that I don’t have time to research.
TL;DR: Don’t screw around on the internet instead of write. You’ll only hurt our brain and waste your time. It’s a total Rook mistake that I continue to make on the regular.